In order to ensure the safety and positive experience of our youth, all staff and volunteers who work directly with our youth are required to pass background clearances.
- Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History clearance ($22 online, free for volunteers).
- Pennsylvania Criminal Record Checks for Volunteers (SP4-164A)
- Pennsylvania Criminal Record Checks for Employment (SP4-164)
- Criminal history reports shall be no more than five (5) years old at the time of employment.
- A Child Abuse Clearance issued by the Department of Public Welfare (CY113) ($13 online, free for volunteers).
- Starfinder requires that the report be no older that three (3) years old at the time of employment.
- Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Criminal History Report ($25)
- If a volunteer has resided in PA continuously for the last 10 years, then s/he will NOT need to obtain an FBI clearance
- Clearances remain valid for three (3) years for paid staff and five (5) years for volunteers.
- The Commonwealth has transitioned to a new FBI Criminal Background Checks vendor, IDEMIA (also referred to as IdentoGo and MorphoTrust). The fingerprint-based background check is a multi-step process.
- Appointments to be fingerprinted are not required, but pre‐registration is required. To register online, please go to www.Identogo.com. You will have to provide a service code to start the process: Enter 1KG756 (Employee >=14 Years Contact w/Children).
- Complete the registration and schedule your appointment. You will be required to pay for fingerprinting at the time of service.
Due to the large number of volunteers at Starfinder, we cannot cover the fees for each and every volunteer. We respectfully request that volunteers cover the cost of these clearances independently. However, if the cost of these screenings is prohibitive or a hardship, email Director of Youth Services, Kate Sandy at
Kate@starfinderfoundation.org or call 267-670-2705.
We strive to make volunteer service accessible to all!